- The ScrewDriver - An electronic cigarette that simply works

HOME     SHOP     FAQ     MANUALS     FORUM<     GALLERY     ENQUIRIES     ABOUT     TRANSLATE

Go Back   ECigScrewdriver home of an E Smoking Icon > ScrewDriver Support > ScrewDriver Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Default What not to do with your Screwdriver ecig.. ether version..

i cant correct this potentially dangerous advice being handed out on UKV because my account has been temporarily suspended..

http://ukvapers.com/topic/23080-addi...ewdriver-mkii/

but sticking balls of silver paper in betwenn a battery and atomizer connection is not a wise thing to do.. even if it is condoned my a member of the management who seems to have been lucky enough to have done it and gotten away with it..

passing comment on the said thread would no doubt get me suspended again..

a screwdriver fitted with a correctly sized 901 to 510 adapter will work with any correctly sized 510 fitting..

balls of silver paper should not enter into the equation.. its not only stupid its potentially dangerous..

we are seeing a few short circuited SDs (collapsed springs) in for repair.. from reading threads like that its not surprising..

trog

ps.. to add.. a screwdriver e cig MK1 or MK11 will work with correctly sized fittings.. sadly there is lots of badly designed after market parts out there.. UKV is led by what i would describe as "enthusiast" they love and advocate all this new stuff even though half of it dosnt work..

in short its a place where those with little knowledge lead those with even less knowledge.. i have in the i past tried to correct some of the worse cases of bad or dangerous advice.. i have not been liked for doing this for obvious reasons.. in the end i have to leave or get banned..

i am currently under a "suspension" but a full time ban would not be soon in the coming..

i reserve the right to correct nonsense or or misinformation.. in doing so i offend too many UKV members.. keeping the "members" happy is the prime rule.. its not my rule and never has been.. i have breached the prime rule too often it cant be helped..

UKV is a nice place to pass time and "chat" but some of the so called "expert" advice handed out is bad advice.. just be wary of it..
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 PM

S 'prolly not much more dangerous that using a bit of speaker cable in your 240v washing machine plug when the fuse blows and you can't find a fresh one

( I have heard of somebody doing that once bythe way!)
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Administrator

every so often you read a scare story of "venting" lithium batteries..

this wont happen with a screwdriver but in some cases it might well do.. lithium cells are potentially dangerous things if subjected to a short circuit.. bits of silver foil in the wrong place are almost garranteed to produce a short circuit..

at the heart of the problem is all the over-sized poorly fitting "stuff" that some folks think its okay to bung on the end of the battery part of whatever device combination they use..

the problem when something dosnt work is always the center positive parts of the connection not making proper contact..

when the parts fit correctly the "screw in load" is taken by the outer thread part.. its never meant to be taken by the soft grommet supported center part..

two things happen.. grommets get pushed in and fail to make contact.. silver foil is most certainly not the answer..

the worse case scenario is too much screw in force being applied cuts through the soft grommet and direct short circuit contact is made between the inner and out parts of the connection.. in the case of the SD this melts the spring as soon as the button is pressed which stops anything really bad from happening but the device does need a repair and new spring..

large "tank" like things that can be screwed in way too tightly compared to a normal (finger tight) atomizer just make the over-all problem worse..

its a situation we are fully aware of but are powerless to do much about.. the simple truth is e cig connections (battery to "mizer) are not designed or intended to have all this over-sized stuff forcefully screwed into them..

trog
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Atomizer Guru

Why people insist on screwing things on so tightly mystifies me trog - they just need to screw things on til a connection is made (or not)

As you know, I've screwed just about everything known onto SDs and never crushed an SD grommet yet.

(in fact, in three and a half years I've only crushed a single grommet in anything)

Ps - I agree about the tin foil . (and paper clips)
to sink your ship of fools
Old 06-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Administrator

its made worse by the current breed large of "large" tank things some folks are now using prof.. lots of "screwing" leverage with one of those.. he he

what is also happening is some of the third party makers to make sure their own bits work are producing things with positive connections that stick out too far..

to be honest its all a bit of an unholy mess.. we can make sure the bits we sell fit but that about it once the product leaves our hands we have no control as regards what happens to it at all..

trog

ps.. combine "if it dosnt work screw it in harder" with badly sized connections and it dosnt take many cells to work out the inevitable end result..

and thats without the silver foil idiocy..
Old 06-03-2012, 11:36 PM

Just had a look on the thread at UKV that you linked to, Trog. A few people have at least responded with links to you tube and the like videos of people pulling the pins up on the ato/carto/clearo whatever. Better than the silver paper methinks!
I think a lot of people seem to look at the E-cig equipment in the same was as Toad of Toad Hall looked at his Motor car i.e "Parp, Parp lets have a laugh and go faster now"